Quinoa Veggie Tomato Soup

Yes, before you say anything, I know I've been gone for over 2 weeks! To be honest I have real, very long reasons but I won't bore you today. You're very lucky

So, lets get to why you're here. This soup is so easy to make (which is my favourite part of the whole thing), it tastes great and perfect for meatless Mondays or those lazy mid week dinners



Here's how you make the soup....

Start by chopping your onions, carrots and celery

Melt coconut oil in a large pot. Add chopped vegetables to the pot and stir for about 5 minutes


Doesn't it look so pretty....

Turn up the heat, add water until it's half way up the pot and wait for it to start to boil. This is where the fun begins


I can't even explain to you how hard taking most of these pictures were. I made this yesterday and I really felt like superwoman because I had this on the gas, and I was also making two flavours of cupcakes. I made 108 cupcakes in total

Once water starts bubbling, add 3 veggie stock cubes and 2 large tins of chopped tomatoes. Then I added a generous amount of chilli powder and cayenne pepper (because I like it spicy)... I was going to add some chopped jalapenos but I didn't have any in the pantry, bummer. Also add some black pepper. Because who doesn't like black pepper though? haha





 Reduce heat and leave soup to simmer 35 mins in uncovered pot



Mmmmm... While you try not to drool, cook your quinoa. I used black quinoa but you could use white, red or even a mixture. You cook quinoa with a 1-2 ratio of quinoa-water/stock. Add the cooked quinoa to the soup together with rinsed beans




 Can you imagine that I managed to not eat this straight from the pot? I'm actually quite proud of myself. I left my soup chunky, but you can always put it in the blender for a smoother consistency



And that's my meal prep done for the week

Here's the recipe with all the quantities you need. This recipe makes roughly 15 servings:

Quinoa Veggie Tomato Soup

Ingredients

Preparation

Start by chopping your onions, carrots and celery
Melt 2tbs of coconut oil in a large pot. Add chopped vegetables to the pot and stir for about 5 minutes
Turn up the heat, add water until it’s half way up the pot and wait for it to start to boil
Once water starts bubbling, add 3 veggie stock cubes and 2 large tins of chopped tomatoes. Then add a generous amount of chilli powder and cayenne pepper, for a spicy hit. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper
Reduce heat and leave soup to simmer 35 mins in uncovered pot. Cook the quinoa. I used black quinoa in this recipe but white, red or even a mixture can also be used. Add the cooked quinoa to the soup together with rinsed beans
Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy


This post has been shared with:

The Mummy Toolbox
Link up your recipe of the week

Labels: , , , , , ,